Friday, January 22, 2010

Celebrating Birthday (Muslim Monday)


Maybe it's too late to respon Muslim Monday discussion in which this week takes Celebrating Birthday as a theme. I read some posts with different opinions on celebrating birthday. I enjoy reading the posts that give me many perspectives from various people about celebrating birthday based on cultural, religion or traditions but mostly from islamic point of view.


My multiply brother Abdullah Munawar for example, wrote that he sees celebrating birthday with a very negative connotations. He said that birthdays are no more than just a celebration and a very important in societes which are further from Islamic practices. That's why he said he will never ever celebrates birthday and he thank God for it.

A quite different opinion come from my online sister, Maryam. She wisely said that celebrating birthday is not a religious celebration but more as something cultural. But she think it's haram if someone spend huge amount of money to celebrate birthday, to make it a huge celebration party and forget to thank Allah for His blessings.

I don't want to take a side. I see no wrong with both opinions, instead it enriches one another and that what we can take from a discusion to broaden and open up our mind. Talking about celebrating birthday, maybe we can take as an example  celebrating prophet (PBUH)'s birthday practised by many muslims around the world that is still become controversy. Some people said it's not allowed based on opinion that companions of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) never celebrate prophet's birthday. Some people said it's allowed to celebrate prophet's birthday to remind people about the prophet's life and his call.

But a prominent muslim scholar Yusuf Al-Qaradawi warns us to celebrate it in a proper way not include the innovasion in celebration. He said that if it done i the proper way, it will serve a great purpose, getting Muslims closer to teachings of Islam and to the prophet's sunnah and life.

I think celebrating our birthday is the same case in relation with not including innovations to our birthday celebration and or spend much money to make a big party. On our birthday we thank Allah for his blessings and at the same time we come to realize that we are getting older, our age reduce and that means our oppurtinities to live in the world getting shorter and shorter. to be aware of this matter we should be more faithful to God. So, according to my opinion, it's ok for us to celebrate birthday as long as we celebrate in proper way.

I had a birthday party once in my lifetime when i was still a kid. I always try to remember my friend, my sisters, my nieces and my nephews birthday so i can give them a call to say happy birthday or send a birthday greeting and make a dua for them. Or i take my birthday as a good moment for family gathering, especially to my relatives who rarely see each others because of their respective activities.


1 comment: