Sunday, September 21, 2008

Finally ... Kolak Ramadhan

Alhamdulillah, finally I can enjoy Kolak when I have iftar wih my friend, Widi, on Saturday. I really want it since the first day of Ramadhan. I could buy it,  I found it almost everyday coz Kolak is a kind of special dish on Ramadhan that is why many people or shops sell it on this Holy Month. But I want to make it myself and do not want to buy it. Unfortunatelly, I don’t have much time even on my days off on Saturday and Sunday … there are always some things that prevent me to make Kolak.

Now, as we enter the final week of Ramadhan, I can’t take it anymore.  When I have my iftar with Widi in Pasar Raya on Saturday, and I saw Kolak there … I decided to forget about making Kolak by myself and I buy it though it’s very expensive, 15.000 rupiah for a small bowl of Kolak. Fiuhh … whereas in fact, with that amount of money we can have a full pan of  Kolak if we make it by ourselves …  

As I said before Kolak is kind of special dish in Ramadhan. Actually, we can also make Kolak not in Ramadhan as a dessert.  It’s kind of sweet compote made of fruits like cassava, banana, sweet potatoes and toddy palm fruit ( you can choose one of them or mixed them) stewed in coconut milk and palm sugar ( Javanese Sugar  or gula jawa),  add a little salt and screwpine leaf-the fragrant leaf of a type of pandanus used to flavor desserts and cakes.    

It’s not very difficult to make Kolak. You can serve it warm or cold as desired. For information,  though Javanese Sugar (Gula Jawa) means Palm Sugar, yet it’s differ from the Palm Sugar that people know in Western market. So it’s hard to find a real Javanese Sugar in Western countries. However, we can use Palm Sugar to substitute Javenese Sugar. In Indonesia, Javanese sugar is mostly used to make the Kolak looks more attractive with its brownish colour. 

*** pic from here

20 comments:

  1. Enaknya... Pisang dicampur dengan sweet potatoes or pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy, but I really don't know what is palm sugar neither Javanese sugar, here we have regular granulated sugar, powdered sugar or brown sugar

    ReplyDelete
  3. it depens on your desire, if you like sweet potatoes more than pumkin, you can mixed banana and sweet potatoes ....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can say that the taste of Javanese sugar is almost the same with brown sugar sis, but Javanese sugar is made in big cubes shape. you can see what Javaneses sugar look like here http://wb3.indo-work.com/pdimage/50/289850_dscn0415.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ehm...kolak emang enak :-)
    Yummy...paling suka kolak labu

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehehe, atmosfear-an gak ngajak-ngajak ... akyu kan pengen liat ada yang jerit-jerit ketakutan ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe dasaarrrrr, emang yah sungguh kejaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. wakakakkakk ..... abis itu sempet pingsan ya di ...? emangnya atmosfear serem yah ...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. gak pingsan siih tapi diem dulu lama karena shock, menurutku siih serem krn emang takut

    ReplyDelete
  10. mbak.. kolak nya 2 ya.. dibungkus.. santennya yang banyak.. Jadi berapa?

    ReplyDelete
  11. kolakny abis mbak ... tinggal santennya doang, mau ? ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. but the most delicious one is Kolak Durian.... Maan... i love it so much...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mau dong kolaknya,mbak. Pasti rasanya OK

    ReplyDelete
  14. seneng kolak duren juga yah ... makannya pake ketan emang manteb banget rasanya ....

    ReplyDelete
  15. hehehe, disana masih sempet bikin kolak mbak ..?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That does look very good mashaAllah I can see why you wanted it so bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. heheheh, yes it does ummi ... i wished you were here so we can enjoy Kolak for ifthar ...)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't know if I will ever make it to Indonesia my dear sister but I would love to have iftar with you and eat some Kolak :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's would be very nice ... at least now u know what Kolak look like it's sweet and tasty ...

    ReplyDelete