Monday, September 3, 2012

a time when i choose to wear hijab



Long time before i decided to wear hijab, i was always admiring Muslim women donned a hijab. They always looked elegant and beautiful to my eyes. Still, i could not  make up my mind to wear hijab at that time.  Even when i've got a chance for pilgrimage years ago, i remain cannot answer the question whether or not  i will keep my hijab  as i used it all the time during the haj.

I did not wear hijab before i made pilgrimage to Mecca. Anyway, that spiritual journey became a turning-point to  my whole life, included the decision to cover my head and hair which is a religious obligation for Muslim women. Finally, after a deep contemplation, i made up my mind to wear a hijab when i came back to my country from Mecca.

I was so lucky , the restriction of wearing hijab was no longer exist by time i decide to don scarf as it used to be in the era of 1980's. In 1990's muslim student and women in this one of biggest Muslim country in the world were more free to wear hijab anytime, anywhere. And today,  hijab or we call it jilbab (without face cover )  seems to be in fashion of which every Muslim women here tend to wear a hijab. This situation triggered the growth of Muslim fashion industries in Indonesia.

I feel something different inside the first time i wear my hijab while i realize there are always consequences for whatever we determined. I have to be more cautious with my behaviour and with my words or i will ruin a good image of a hijab-woman. It also encourages me to learn more and more about Islam and Muslim.

Alhamdulillah, now i still keep my hijab on though the way i am wearing it is not perfect yet. May Allah The Most Gracious The Most Merciful give me a strenght to perform all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained. And i pray for all my sisters in Western countries who still face restriction or hijab-ban to fight to get a freedom to wear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment