Friday, August 17, 2012

Going Home, An Exodus for Eid Day




Eid Day is just a week away, now people especially in urban cities like Jakarta ( the capital city of Indonesia) are busy getting ready to return to their respective hometown to celebrate the biggest Muslim holiday. Even in multiply, i see some people start posting about their plan to return home for Eid day. Make me feel a bit envy because my hometown is Jakarta, the city where i was born and grown up and where i live now.

I actually have some relatives in other city even in other provinces, but most of my close family are all here, in Jakarta. And i and my family usually gather around in my aunt's house (my mom's eldest sister) where i meet almost all members of my big family there so i need not to go anywhere.

"Going Home" or Pulang Kampung or Mudik is a tradition that become phenomenon in urban people who lives in big cities, mainly in Jakarta ahead of Eid (Idul Fitri) Day. it's a kind of exodus that make my hometown Jakarta-which is usually very crowded and noisy-so quiet and turn into a dead city during Eid holiday. Coz many people have left the city and spent their Eid holiday in their hometown.

Since the Idul Fitri "exodus" become a very important moment, all tv stations make a special report seven days before and after Eid holiday, about the holiday travelers and the traffic condition from across the city. The travelers are sometimes caught in a heavy traffic jam for hours. But still, they show their cheerfulness. Amazing.


repost from multiply 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment